Friday, July 12, 2013

Cookies!


     Today is one of the few cool days of summer we've had in a very long time.  Because it won't get above 80 here today, I'm going to chance turning on the oven and heating up the house some.  When I bake dog cookies, I usually do a bunch of batches at a time to minimize the amount of time the oven needs to be turned on.

I should technically preset the oven to 325, but in the summer, I tend to only turn it on once I've got all of my baking sheets filled with cookies.

My basic cookie recipee is:
1 cup flour
about 1/2 cup smooth creamy peanut butter
1/2 cup apple sauce.

I start by mixing the peanut butter into the flour until all of the peanut butter is broken into small sections.  Then I add in the apple sauce, but I only add in half at a time, wait for it to blend through, and then add in the rest slowly while mixing it (you may not use all of the 1/2 cup of apple sauce, so slowly add it in)
If you added in the entire half cup, and it seems a bit soupy/soggy add in a table spoon of flour at a time.  Mix together until it's the consistency of a sugar cookie.

Speaking of sugar cookies, you'll need to roll it out like a sugar cookie.  Don't forget to put flour down on the counter top and flour the rolling pin.  I've also got these cool bands I bought at my local kitchen supply store.  They go over the end of the rolling pin to help you stay consistent in how you roll out the dough.  If you want to add in color to the cookies, I've managed this before by mixing in pumpkin instead of apple sauce.  I've also done it with strawberry apple sauce instead of regular.

Once the dough is flat, just cut it with cookie cutters the way you'd cut a sugar cookie.

I tend to bake the cookies on one side and place the tray on the bottom rack for 7 minutes, I then pull them out, flip the cookies over, and place them on the top rack for 7 minutes.


2 comments:

  1. You make the best cookies! I'm still planning to bake the pups a cake one of these days. A birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool!!!! You are the friggen best dog mom!

    ReplyDelete